My guest today is Michael Bungay Stanier, author of The Advice Trap. Today, he helps us think differently about advice, giving advice, and receiving advice. He also talks about some ways to avoid those pesky advice traps. Michael is also the author of The Coaching Habit, and his recent TEDx on how to take your advice monster is a must-watch. He’s got a ton of tips and resources, so be sure to check out the show notes for links to many of them. I have been following Michael for many years and was thrilled to have him as my guest. I hope you enjoy our conversation.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Michael’s attempt at creating a coaching practice and his discovery that he didn’t enjoy coaching people all that much.
- How Michael helps people stay curious a little bit longer.
- Coaching is not an occasional formal intervention.
- Helping you reframe your default response to advice-giving.
- We discuss the magic of social contracting.
- And, how to tame your advice monster. View podcast here…
The post A Perspective on Giving and Receiving Advice with Michael Bungay Stanier appeared first on Laurie Ruettimann.
Source: Laurie Ruettimann